Despite its name, the New Zealand spinach is not a true spinach. As such, they are more heat tolerant and more suitable for Singapore's climate. Although they are not related to true spinaches, they are enjoyed fresh or cooked the same way! This variety was discovered by the British in New Zealand, hence the name. They are rich in Vitamin C which is essential for a healthy immune system and also helps boost iron levels, keeping you healthy.
Spinach microgreens can be harvested in 12-14 days, although we prefer sowing them slightly wider apart and growing them as baby leaves, harvesting in 21 days.
- Scientific Name: Tetragonia tetragonioides
- Seed count: 90 seeds / gram approximate
- Seeding density: 5 grams / plastic takeaway container (7 x 4.5 inches )
- Pre-soaking: 2 hours in cool water, though we grew them without soaking successfully
- Growth Medium: Organic soil or cocopeat
- Germination: 2-3 days
- Blackout Period: 2-4 days
- Harvest in: 12 - 16 days
- Seed Origin: Italy